The Clean Elections Initiative will…
The Clean Elections Initiative in Five Steps
- Strengthen Maine's Clean Election Act: The courts and lawmakers have opened the door to big money in our elections by weakening Clean Elections. This initiative will restore and fully fund Maine's Clean Elections law so everyone can be represented in our democracy - not just the wealthy.
- Require Dark Money Groups to Disclose Top Donors: The initiative will require outside groups to list their top funders on political ads. That way Maine people will know who is trying to influence their vote.
- Disclose Governor-Elect Fundraising: Under today's law, an incoming governor can raise unlimited contributions from lobbyists and special interests to pay for inaugural parties and transition expenses with no public disclosure. The initiative will close this loophole and provide transparency to the activities of our top office holder.
- Increase Fines & Penalties for Campaign Finance Law Violations" To deter violations and increase accountability, the initiative calls for significantly higher penalties so that they are never considered a mere "cost of doing business."
- Close a Corporate Tax Loophole: Everyday people can't write massive campaign checks or hire high-priced lobbyists to get special tax breaks. To fully fund Clean Elections this initiative will close a wasteful corporate tax loophole.
- Craft a policy that strengthens Clean Elections, discloses dark money, and increases accountability. DONE!
- Mobilize Mainers to collect 70,000 signatures to advance legislation that puts government in the hands of the people, not high-powered lobbyists and corporations. STARTED!
- Submit signatures, demonstrating that Maine people want an election laws that puts people, not wealthy donors, first.
- Advocate for legislative passage of the Clean Election Initiative by rallying thousands of Mainers in a call for common sense reform. If the legislature fails to act …
- Pass the Clean Elections Initiative at the ballot box, securing for future generations a robust Clean Election law that keeps voters at the center of our elections.
SignatureCollectionFAQs.pdf (88.73 KB)
Signature Collection Rules to Remember.pdf (147.5 KB)