Adopted November 12, 2008; Amended September 16, 2016
Maine Citizens for Clean Elections is a nonpartisan nonprofit organization working to ensure that Maine’s campaign finance laws, elections, and government serve the public interest, both in principle and in practice. We engage Maine people from across the political spectrum, using research, education, and outreach to further fairness, inclusion, and opportunity in our politics.
MCCE Action advocates for campaign finance laws, elections, and government that serve the public interest, both in principle and in practice. We support measures that increase fairness, inclusion, and opportunity in our politics and promote robust participation by Maine people in their government.
MCCE and MCCE Action believe that Maine's first-in-the-nation public funding system is a model for the rest of the country and for federal elections. We believe that the historic role of our organization as an independent voice, free of any partisan agenda, is as necessary today as it was during the passage and implementation of the law.
MCCE Action believes that strong campaign finance laws should work to reduce the influence of big money in government, eliminate corruption and the appearance of corruption, provide opportunity for qualified Maine people from all walks of life to run for state office, and increase public access to information. We believe that sound reform creates trust, encourages participation in our electoral system, and enhances the accountability of elected officials to their constituents.
MCCE Action works for reform that is
- INCLUSIVE - Campaign finance laws should encourage citizens from all walks of life to run for office and to participate in the electoral process at all levels.
- FAIR - Rules should not advantage or disadvantage any particular political party or type of candidate.
- JUST - Enforcement should ensure that each and every candidate is held to the same standard of compliance.
- CONSISTENT WITH CONSTITUTIONAL VALUES - The law and its interpretation must uphold and advance core American values of free speech and association, and the promise of equal protection.
- FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE - Public money should be carefully spent on candidates and other programs that have a clear benefit to the citizens of Maine.
- WORKABLE - Campaign finance laws must both fulfill the lofty goals of reform and be practicable in real life.