The Maine Commission on Governmental Ethics and Election Practices is an independent state agency that administers Maine's campaign finance laws, including the Maine Clean Elections Act. The Commission is made up of five (5) members appointed for 3-year terms by the Governor and Legislative leadership.
Information about the Commission and its activities, including meeting agendas, general background on the law, and information for candidates, legislators, PACs and lobbyists, can be found on their website at: http://maine.gov/ethics/index.htm
- Candidate guide
- Legislative Ethics handbook
- Laws and Rules administered by the Commission
- Guidance for PACs and political parties
The Commission website also includes the Campaign Finance Public Access page which allows the public to view campiagn finance data for the State of Maine.
Testimony to Ethics Commision
As part of our mission to preserve and protect the MCEA, MCCE frequently participates in the Ethics Commission's public hearings around important implementaion and enforcement issues. For public testimony before the Maine State Legislature, CLICK HERE.
- RE: The Commission’s Authority Over the Clean Election Fund in Fiscal Year 2019, 8/15/2018
- 2015 MCCE Comment on Rule-making, 12/16/2015
- 2012 MCCE Supplemental Comment on proposed "press exemption" language , 7/6/2012
- 2012 MCCE Comment on proposed "press exemption" language, 5/11/2012
- 2012 MCCE Comment on Proposed Rule 2012-P10 and 2012-P11, 3/10/2012
- 2011 MCCE Testimony on Post-McComish changes to Maine law, 8/10/2011
2010 MCCE Testimony on Recent Poll regarding Maine voters views on campaign funding, disclosure, and privacy, 6/24/2010
Click here to download poll.
- 2009 MCCE Testimony on Rulemaking regarding CE candidates raising private funds, 12/4/2009
- 2009 MCCE Testimony on Rulemaking regarding possible shortfall of CE funds, 8/14/2009
- 2009 MCCE Testimony on Payments to Family Members, 7/30/2009
- 2008 MCCE Testimony on Seed Money, 9/29/2008
- 2008 MCCE Testimony on Reimbursement Changes, 7/28/2008
- 2008 MCCE Testimony on New Rule regarding Seed Money, 7/28/2008
- 2008 MCCE Testimony on the Clean Elections Gubernatorial System, 6/27/2008