MCCE and LWVME Democracy Partnership
About the Democracy Partnership
The Democracy Partnership brings together the strengths of the League of Women Voters of Maine (LWVME) and Maine Citizens for Clean Elections (MCCE) behind efforts to empower Mainers of all backgrounds to discover shared values while pursuing concrete solutions to some of the deepest challenges facing our state and nation. LWVME has a long tradition of volunteer leadership and activism, established through its nationally federated organization and flourishing in Maine for almost a century. For twenty years, MCCE has spearheaded the fight for Clean Elections and campaign finance integrity here in Maine, leading two successful statewide citizen initiative campaigns to establish and enhance the first-in-the-nation system of public funding for state elections. The two organizations have been close collaborators since MCCE’s inception almost twenty years ago. Like its founding partners, this new partnership retains a strong commitment to nonpartisan engagement and to achieving the full potential of democratic self-government enshrined in our nation’s founding principles, yet to be fully realized.
The full‐time Operations Manager supports MCCE and LWVME’s programs and administration. They keep the organizations running smoothly. They are responsible for logistics, data entry, accounts payable, payroll, managing the organizations’ HR, and helping with creating organizational and program budgets in collaboration with the ED and Program Director.
The ideal candidate brings two or more of the following skills:
- Non-profit management experience
- The ability to manage overlapping deadlines and be detail-oriented
- Excellent communications skills – both written and oral
- A deep commitment to the values of inclusion, fairness, opportunity and nonpartisanship described in MCCE and the LWVME’s missions.
Further, the ideal candidate is:
- Personable and diplomatic.
- A team player, team builder, and collaborator.
- Aware of how diverse identities and lived experience impact feelings about democracy and elections.
Core Duties and Responsibilities of the Operations Manager
- Managing day to day processing of contributions and expenses, including maintaining Quickbooks and internal database records.
- Assisting Executive Director and board in creating annual organizational budget and monitoring cash flow.
- Working with accountant to reconcile monthly activity, generate year-end reports, and fulfill tax-related requirements.
- Managing contracts and reimbursement requests.
- Maintaining archival and administrative files.
- Administering payroll and employee benefits and organizational insurance.
- Develop, maintain and monitor all fundraising and accounting systems and procedures capturing all pledges, contributions, receipts and acknowledgments.
- Assist with appeal letters, grant reports, and other development tasks as needed.
- Manage databases for field, development and communications.
- With Program Director, ensure website and social media are kept up-to-date.
- Assist Program Director with tracking and evaluating program deliverables.
- As needed, assist Program Director with education, advocacy and communications activities, including event planning and community engagement.
Location, Compensation and Start Date
MCCE is located in Portland. This is a full-time position with compensation based upon experience. Health, vision, dental and earned time benefits are offered to all MCCE employees. We aim to have our Operations Manager start as soon as possible.
How to Apply
Please send a one-page cover letter, resume, and three references by email to MCCE/LWME Executive Director Anna Kellar at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line ‘Implement RCV Field Organizer'. Please send applications by Wed Jan 31.
MCCE and the LWVME are an equal opportunity employer, and encourages applicants of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate in employment against persons based on color, race, religion, age, ability, gender, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran or marital status. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
21-A M.R.S.A. §1121 et seq.